Date of Competition: Sunday, January 12, 2020
Deadline for Application: Saturday, December 7, 2019
Entry Fee: $75 (non-refundable) Pay online here or make checks payable to: Encore Music Academy or EMA
Eligibility: All MCYO Intermezzo and Symphony Orchestra Members
Audition Location: First Congregational Church, Crystal Lake, IL
Concerto Competition Rules:
- Selection to be performed must be one movement from a concerto or other standard solo work with orchestral accompaniment. 4 copies of the movement must be submitted online to Maggie Tucker by Saturday, December 7, 2019. Scanned forms may be emailed to Maggie Tucker at email@example.com. Forms can also be turned into the office or brought to rehearsals.
- Maximum time limit for the piece (including tuttis) is 15 minutes.
- Audition must be performed with piano accompaniment and each candidate is responsible for providing his/her own accompanist. Instruct your accompanist to cut all tuttis to only a few measures. While memorization is not mandatory, it is encouraged and your performance will be scored with that in mind.
- Enter the competition room with your instrument tuned and ready to perform. Once on stage, one final tuning is allowed by getting a pitch from the piano.
- Presentation counts - please dress appropriately.
- The judges will be MCYO conductors and a diverse group of professional musicians. Judges will require a complete copy of your performance piece, including any accompanying parts. Please make four copies and give them to Maggie Tucker along with your entry form by Saturday, December 7, 2019. Be prepared to play the full movement for the competition.
- Concerto winners must attend all rehearsals during that concert cycle.
- The time of your audition will be scheduled once we have all entries.
One winner will be selected from both Intermezzo and Symphony who will solo at the Spring Concert in 2020. Concerto winners will each receive two complimentary tickets to the concert. The decision is final and MCYO reserves the right not to choose a winner or runner-up.
$75 Application, 4 copies of audition piece and application form due Dec. 7th.